Ravus Blog

Monday, August 28, 2006

A Place to Start and See Where it Takes Me

As per a requirement of a class in which I am currently enrolled, I have began this blog. I am relatively new to the whole concept of blogging. In actuality, I have no experience whatsoever. I have not even gone as far as to read a posting by another fellow blogger. Despite my inexperience with blogs, I must stay the course if I wish to receive a passing grade. So, back to the matter at hand. The purpose of the assignment is to create a blog that can be used for research purposes in the realm of business. I am charged with picking a subject, researching it, and ultimately posting my findings here on my blog page. This brings me to my next problem (aside from the inexperience.) I am not too sure as to what subject to choose. One idea that I considered has to do with the popular Taco Bell catch phrase used to promote the Crunchwrap Supreme, "Good to Go." Recently, I have began to notice that it has been a long time since I have seen a commercial in which someone does that little hand gesture and utters that the Crunchwrap Supreme is... that's right ..."Good to Go." A week or two ago, I found out why it was that I had not recently seen these commercials. On the way home from a weekend in Chicago, I saw a NutriGrain Bar ad. Much to my amazement, and to some extent bewilderment, at the bottom of the ad it claimed that the NutriGrain Bar was "Good to Go." Right after the the "o" in "Go" was the little "TM" that denotes that something was trade-marked, meaning that NutriGrain basically owns the phrase "Good to Go" and can collect royalties or sue another company for using that phrase if they so choose. I am neither an advocate for Taco Bell nor for NutriGrain; however, I would find fault with the Kellogg company if they knowingly stole and proceeded to obtain legal rights for the phrase. This is the starting point for my research blog. It may go anywhere from here.

Websites:
http://nutrigrain.com
http://tacobell.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Stevens Amidon said...

A good beginning. The issue you raise is an important issue in business communication. If we live in a knowledge economy, then our intellectual property, our knowledge is our most important asset. Companies go to enormous lengths to protect intellectual propoerty through the use of trademarks, copyrights, and patents etc. Sometimes this legal protection gets out of hand, however, and companies try to get away with patentingt something as ubiquitous as the ability to place video on the internet,an then extort money from other companies by threatening legal action.

We haven't yet figured out how to balance fairness and ownership, particularly when it comes to digital communication!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home